Top tips for rainy days:
Children learn best when they experience things first hand and get to actually ‘have a go’. So when it rains next try…
- Playing in puddles. Putting on wellies and splashing in the puddles. Including the grown ups! The simplest idea but the best fun!
- Getting muddy! Mixing mud and making mud pies, take out old pots and pans into the garden too.
- Floating ducks, leaves or twigs on puddles. Try out pebbles do they float or sink?
- Making a boat out of an old plastic container, add a straw for a mast, decorate, and set sail!
- Compare different sounds that the rain makes by going outside and putting different containers on your head, eg pan, plastic container, umbrella. What can you hear?
Put food dye and/or bath bubble mixture in puddles
Make a ‘boat’ indoors, on the sofa or using blankets, and play your own imaginary sailing game
Snuggle up and read a book such as ‘Where the wild things are’
Take some buckets outside and collect rain
Can you make an outdoor shelter? Try using sheets / tarpaulin and have an outdoor snack.
50 things to do
Looking for things to do? Why not download our ultimate list of ’50 things to do before you’re 5′?
Games and Rhymes
Play games with our TLC friends and sing along to your favourite nursery rhymes.
Learn the best ways to improve your child’s language and communication at their different ages.