The Wonders of Homemade Playdough
Playdough can be made very easily using “ingredients” that you have at home and this simple activity has many benefits.
Before children can hold a pen and learn to write, they need to strengthen and learn to control the muscles in their hands and playdough is the perfect activity to exercise little fingers.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup table salt
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- up to 1½ cups boiling water -This part is for an adult!!
- food colouring (optional)
What to do:
- 1.Mix the flour, salt and oil in a large bowl.
- 2.If you’re using food colouring, add it to the boiling water then pour into the flour mixture adding bit by bit and stirring it together to form a sticky dough.
- 3.Allow it to cool down then take out of the bowl and knead it for a couple of minutes until the stickiness has gone.
- 4.At this point you can also add a few drops of essential oil or other aromas such as herbs and spices.
To keep the figures that they make, bake in the oven on a medium heat for approximately one hour and the play dough will harden!
Add a selection of tools from around your home such as small world figures, a rolling pin, cookie cutters, cupcake cases, safety scissors, a child’s knife and fork or even a garlic press!